Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Had a nice day!

Well, today has been a pretty nice day. I did something I love doing. I installed a music system for my dad's new Wagon R. It was a pretty easy decision on the head unit. I had somehow decided that I will force myself to think of Sony, though I am a hardcore Pioneer fan, as I believe you get real good value for your money, especially if you dont have a budget, and need to work within it. I tried my best to convince myself to install a Sony 350S, but then, the Pioneer DEH 5850 won hands down, as the Sony did not have a dedicated sub woofer out, and so no woofer control from the head unit. Now, this woofer thing has really caught onto me, and I just cannot imagine myself even recommending a non woofer setup to anyone.

So, then I decided on the Pioneer DEH 5850. The tweeters, as usual were my all time favorite, the Pioneer TS 20. I seriously believe that tweeters may come, and tweeters may go, but the TS20 will go on forever. I do know that things like the Nokia 5110 and the Yamaha RX 100 and the old Maruti Zen and some other products are killed by their own makers, just because they want to sell their newer products! And we did not have much choice for the front speakers, as I thought that Pioneer was pretty good in the 4 inch speakers too.

Now came the tough part. I knew bass could be delivered by the woofer well. I did not need any more speakers to deliver bass. So I thought I would ditch the usual 6 by 6 ovals, and decided on 6 inch round speakers. Later I realized that these were teh only ones that could be fitted in the boot. Thats because as this Wagon R had a gas tank in the cavity meant for the stepney, the stepney was fitted in the boot! So, no space for the ovals anyways! The round speakers I decided on were JVC, as I got more wattage in this brand, than Pioneer, and the build quality was better. Then, I decided on a JVC amp, to drive the sub, as the Sony amps we get here are of lousy quality, as they are made in China! I do have 2 other Sony amps, that are made in Japan that I picked up in Singapore, and they are both very good.

So, I got a JVC amp, and a SoundStream woofer. In this department too, I usually lean towards Sony a big deal, but this time, I thought lets give it a shot. And after some hours of waiting, I got to hear the music. It sounds pretty cool. I did not really miss the ovals, as the smaller speakers and the front speakers really took care of the mids, and the highs, the TS 20s handled effortlessly. The woofer is really cool, with no drag at all, if you know what I mean!

And then the day ended. I did meet quite a lot of people today. Kiran came in to fit a pair of ovals in his Wagon R, when I was getting my job done. Nelson dropped in to say Hi. Saravannan was just going somewhere, and we met him quite accidentally. Shanmugam as usual met me in the evening. Overall it was a day, well spent!

Forgot to add, the SoundStream Woofer was from their Tarantula range, and so has a cool Tarantula standing right in the middle!!!

No comments: